Saturday, January 29, 2011

Faith Like That

My wonderful friend, Katie, sent me a message the other night reminding me that our God is big and that this pregnancy is in His hands. But, no matter the outcome of the pregnancy, He is still the same God. It made me think of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who, when faced with the blazing furnace, said, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and He will rescue us from your hand, O king. BUT EVEN IF HE DOES NOT, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold that you have set up." (Daniel 3:17-18)

I want a faith like that. I want a faith that doesn't demand my own way or expect nothing less than miraculous deliverance, but that trusts in our good and faithful God regardless of the outcome. My sister and my mom have both been recently reading the autobiography of Corrie Ten Boom (I'm picking it up from the library today!), whose family harbored Jewish refugees in a secret room in their home. They ended up sacrificing everything because of their faith in God and obedience to His call. My sister posted here about it, and asked the question, what gave her that kind of courage and faithfulness?

Our amazing friends, the Goodfellows, just sold almost everything they own and moved their family of 6 to Peru in order to be obedient to God's call and to live out the gospel with passion. Here is a picture of our kids with three of their kids on the day that they left, with everything that they own.


There are so many of these examples of ordinary people with extraordinary faith. I want faith like that. So, along with my sister, I will ask the question, what gave them the courage and the faithfulness? And, if I had that sort of faithfulness, in what extraordinary way could God use me?

No comments:

Post a Comment