Wednesday, August 24, 2011

School is in Session!

I hadn't planned on starting school until Monday, but we ended up having our first day today. The kids have been really excited to start - probably because they've seen their new markers, colored pencils, etc. sitting there for weeks and haven't been allowed to touch them - but, I've been holding off. I've been holding off for a few reasons: One, because I've been busy getting organized; two, because I've been waiting on some materials to arrive; and three, because starting school means actually committing to that schedule that I've been working so hard on, and I haven't been quite ready to do that. After all, it's still summer, and who wants to be committed to a schedule in the summer (or anytime, really)? The materials that we had been waiting on finally arrived yesterday though, and the kids actually begged to start school today. We didn't have anything going on and so I decided to go ahead and have our first day a few days early.

Here are the obligatory first day of school photos: I figured that I'd keep it real and show what my kids really look like for school most of the time - little unkempt ragamuffins with unbrushed hair, soccer uniforms (that have been slept in), pajamas, and, of course, cowboy boots. That's how we roll at the Herron Family Homeschool.






The morning went smoothly and I'm hoping that the kids excitement lasts at least a little while. I'm actually really excited too about the new curriculum that I'm using. Last year, I attempted a kind of hodge podge of various things without really having set goals in place. That didn't work so well for me, and by the end of the year we were pretty much just flying by the seat of our pants. I definitely learned that I need a better plan to follow. So, for anybody at all interested, here's what I'm using this year (Jake: 2nd grade; Addi: Kindergarten):
  • Adventures in My Father's World (for Jake and Addi): This is the 2nd/3rd grade My Father's World (MFW) curriculum and includes our Bible, Literature, Science, Art, Music Appreciation, and History curriculum. Addi will have no problem participating in this as I can tailor it to meet her needs and level as well.
  • My Father's World 1st Grade Curriculum (for Addi): I'm only using a very small piece of this curriculum (the Reading and Writing portion) for Addi.
  • Math: Singapore Math (1A and 1B for Addi, 2A and 2B for Jake)
  • Spelling (for Jake): Spelling by Sound and Structure Book 3 from Rod and Staff
  • English (for Jake): Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl
  • Handwriting (for Jake): Pictures in Cursive by Sandi Queen
  • Art Instruction: I Can Do All Things art curriculum (this is included with our MFW curriculum)
  • Art Appreciation: Child-Size Masterpieces
  • Music Lessons: Piano (Jake only - taking lessons from me)
  • Foreign Language (Jake and Addi): Spanish class once a week
  • Extra-curricular for the fall: Soccer (Jake and Addi), Engineering with Legos class once a week (Jake)
Give me a few weeks and I'll be happy to tell you what I think of our choices!


No comments:

Post a Comment