Monday, March 21, 2011

Two More Weeks Down

Okay, here is the pregnancy update...another "normal" ultrasound today. YAY!! The growth is still right on track and the heartbeat is strong. The ultrasound technician had some difficulty today because she wanted to get a specific fluid measurement and the baby was not cooperating. He (or she, of course) was quite comfortable down very low and not moving at all. It's not a good feeling to be sitting there watching the screen and seeing no movement whatsoever. It didn't make Jay and I feel very good. But, we could see the heart beating, so that kept us reassured. Jay also asked if it was a problem that the baby was so low and tucked away in this little crevice, and her response was, "No, I don't think so." I would have much preferred a, "No, not at all." I read into every little thing at this point. Anyway, the woman kept poking at my stomach trying to get the baby to wake up, but nothing was working. He did not want to be awake. Finally, after about 20 minutes of trying, she left the room and came back in soon after that to try again, and the baby had moved to a new position, so she was able to get the measurement that she needed. All in all, we were in there for over an hour. It was the longest ultrasound I have ever had and my sister was worried sick and convinced that something was wrong because she hadn't heard from me yet. I think she called her husband and had her 6 year old son praying with her for a miracle!

We are now officially 12 weeks along, and feeling like it's time to tell the kiddos. More people are starting to know about the pregnancy (and it's starting to get a little more obvious), and I don't want Jake and Addi to accidentally hear about it from someone else. We want to get to share the happy news with them ourselves, so we don't feel like we should wait much longer. On the other hand, we are not yet to the point in the pregnancy where we lost the twins (not that that means anything one way or the other in terms of this pregnancy), but I feel like once we get past that point, I might be a little more at ease. In reality though, I probably won't truly be at ease until we have delivered a healthy baby. So, I think that we have decided to go ahead and tell them sometime this week, but I do have some anxiousness about that. I simply want to spare them from heartache and disappointment if I can.

We have been having ultrasounds every two weeks, but we may not actually get to go back for four weeks this time. I don't really like that plan, but since we're entering the second trimester now, they might not feel like they need to monitor it so frequently. In reality, the frequent monitoring is I think more for our peace of mind than anything else. It's not like I (or the baby) have some known condition that they can do something about if things start to go wrong. Basically, we go in and there's either a heartbeat or there's not. So, they might not keep seeing us so frequently now. I'm not sure. But, I will be sure to post something each time we go in.

P.S. Not that this is an afterthought, but of course we praise God for the miracle that is continuing to grow inside. It is only because of His grace that we receive any blessings at all. I always hesitate to mention the grace of God because I feel a little bit like a hypocrite. I'm just not so sure that I would be singing His praises and talking about His grace if things were to go south, although I know that I should be. Despite our disappointments in the past though, and even if our hearts are broken again, He has always been faithful and will always be faithful to bring us out of the "depths of despair" as Anne of Green Gables would say. Anyway, I didn't want to share our wonderful news without also acknowledging and praising God for His grace and miracle. I know that we have so many people who are continuing to pray for us and for this pregnancy as well, so THANK YOU for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment