Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Fun

Ha ha ha. That title was just a joke. If you know me, then you probably know that there were no St. Patrick's Day festivities around here. The kids did not wake to green eggs and ham for breakfast, or shamrock decorations, or green footprints left by leprechauns. Always a little too late, I end up thinking things like, "Oh, I wish I would have done something festive to make the day fun for them. Next time, I will." Then the next opportunity comes around, and, again, I forget.

So, I am going to just dispel right now one of the many, many myths that float around out there about homeschoolers and homeschooling moms - we are not supermoms! I know, I know, if you know me, that comes as a bit of a shock (HAHAHA). Granted, that is one of the more positive myths out there about homeschoolers, considering that there are so many negative ones - but, untrue, nonetheless. I guess I should probably clarify that statement by saying that there probably are some homeschooling supermoms out there, but I am just not one of them. I hear people say things like, "Oh, I could never homeschool. I just don't have the patience;" or, "I'm not creative enough, or organized enough, or structured enough, or ________ enough to homeschool." Well, here's a little secret...neither am I! I really wish that I was all of those things, but I am so incredibly flawed. I am constantly losing my patience, usually unprepared with the lessons, and always promising myself that I will do better tomorrow.

But, here's the thing - I still wouldn't choose a different path for our family. Even at my worst, I would rather have my children with me, learning from my example, than with everybody else, learning from the examples of a classroom full of kids who are just as immature as they are. Don't get me wrong, my children do not live under a rock. They are involved in sports and church and with the neighborhood kids, friends, cousins, etc. (Don't get me started on the "socialization" debate because I promise...that one I will win!) But, they spend the majority of their time with me, and with Jay, and with each other. And, yes, because I am NOT a supermom, there are many days when it absolutely DRIVES ME INSANE! But, I still believe it's worth it. One of these days, I will write a post about why I believe it's worth it, because there really are so many reasons. But, not today.

So, coming back now from that huge tangent, and back to St. Patrick's Day. I didn't even realize that it was St. Patrick's Day until mid-morning, when Jake realized that it was the 17th and informed me that it was. How he remembers that March 17th is St. Patrick's Day, I have no idea. It certainly has not been a topic of conversation around here. For the past several years though, our neighbor has left green leprechaun footprints and goodies at the door so that the kids think that a leprechaun visits each year. (Actually, two years ago, she accidentally used non-washable paint for the footprints, and we have had permanent green footprints leading up to our front door ever since. It adds a nice touch.) However, they have been out of town and just returned last night. So, there was no visit from the leprechaun today. I, of course, should have been prepared instead, but, you have already heard about my flaws.

So, the kids just wondered why he didn't visit this year, and were slightly disappointed. They even complained to our neighbor about it when they saw her this morning (having no idea that she is actually the leprechaun). She, of course, did something about it. I kid you not, as I sat here typing this post tonight, with the kids already in bed, I heard a loud knock at the door and knew exactly what it was. I got the kids out of bed (I actually give myself points for that one) and we went down to see who could possibly be knocking. But, ALAS, nobody was there. There were, however, gold coins, and green confetti and a trail of things that the leprechaun had left. Apparently, he was just running late this year. I even went with the kids around the neighborhood for a little while, at bedtime I might add, to try to catch the leprechaun. (More points for me. I probably wouldn't have done that though if I hadn't just been in the middle of writing about how I am no supermom and how I screwed up St. Patrick's Day!)

So, where was I going with all this? I'm not really sure. But now, I'm feeling grateful that even though I'm no supermom who does cutesy projects and festive activities with her kids, at least I have a neighbor who picks up the slack for me sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment