Sunday, February 14, 2010

Looking Back Through a Clear Lens

So tonight was the night I was originally supposed to come home from Haiti. As it turned out, I've been home for a week after never actually being in Haiti (having spent all my time in Santiago helping with the back end of the operation). Now that I have had some time to look back on things through a clear lens, I have really been able to see one significant truth above all else: God is very intentional about who He sends where and when He sends them there.

The more I think about how our little cartel worked down there and the part that each of us played, the more I am truly amazed at how choreographed the whole thing was. The point I made in a previous post about how we all have our own gifts but God uses them all for His purposes is becoming more and more evident to me. At one point, I was really not sure why I had gone done there, for I felt like they didn't really need me. Now, though, that feeling has turned into one of such gratitude that He specifically called on me to play a part in what He was doing for those He loves.

It's always amazing to me how quickly we can forget the things we learn in our "moments of clarity". As I look back at the reasons I was going on this trip, I realize that I had totally forgotten what this was supposed to be about. Now that I have had time to look back on both the trip and the re-entry into regular life, I can see that 1) I really did need to show obedience to God's call, because He had a specific purpose for me down there; and 2) He really has shown me how He will take care of me, for He brought me back to a totally manageable situation at work (unlike I ever could have expected) and He further unveiled the magnitude of the love and support that resides in those He has put around me. And though I wasn't seeing any of that earlier this week, I feel like He has really opened my eyes to His intentionality and faitfulness these last few days. And for that, I sit here tonight feeling incredibly grateful.

And I sit here wondering what He's going to ask of me next . . .

1 comment: