Wednesday, September 26, 2012

It's A...

I am now 22 weeks along and we had an ultrasound last week to check on the baby, find out the sex, etc. We discovered that we are having another little boy, which will be great for Tate since they will be so close in age. Addi, however, did not find the news so wonderful. She has been hoping so desperately for a girl, had already named the baby Kyli, and refused to acknowledge that it might be anything but a girl. The kids didn't come with us to the ultrasound this time, but as soon as we got back, Addi came running out shouting, "What is it? What is it? Is it a girl? Is it Kyli?" I tried to be as positive as I could and told her that the great thing was that she got to continue to be our only little princess. When she heard this, she started sobbing. I mean, really sobbing. She wasn't trying to be dramatic or put on a show, she was just really, truly heartbroken, and I felt so sad for her. She just buried her face in me and kept crying and crying. Then, Jay went to give her a hug and she clung to him and just kept crying. I knew that she was going to be disappointed, but even I was surprised at how hard she took it. She has already started to get used to the idea though, and even as she was praying yesterday, she thanked God that it was a little boy for Tate.

The baby looked healthy and was measuring as he should be, and, of course, that is what's important. We are so incredibly grateful. We did find out though that I have something called complete placenta previa, meaning that the placenta is not where it should be and is completely covering the cervix. Because it is complete, there is far less likelihood of it moving. This can lead to complications and bedrest, and, if it remains as is, will require a c-section. C-sections are so common now and I know that to some people it is just very normal and does not sound like a big deal. But to me, it is a huge deal, and is completely the opposite of what I would hope for for the baby and for me. I would imagine that I feel about having a c-section the way a lot of people would feel about having a homebirth!

We certainly want to focus on the miracle of another healthy baby so far and we thank the Lord for another little blessing. And, at the same time, we are praying for healing in my body, and are trying some alternative therapies to attempt to correct the position of the placenta. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment