Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Heart

Jay and I don't ever do anything for each other for Valentine's Day (I did manage to make some heart shaped rice krispy treats for the munchkins though!). I know, I know, nothing for anniversaries, nothing for Christmas, nothing for Valentine's Day - we're not normal. I promise that it really doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with our marriage! We are just not sappy, sentimental kind of people, and neither one of us has the "love language" of gifts, so it works out well for us. This Valentine's Day, however, although we weren't hoping for little gifts, or candy hearts, or heart-shaped boxes of chocolate, we were hoping for one very special heart - one real, actual, beating heart. And we got it!

We went in this morning for our ultrasound to check to see if the baby had a heartbeat. I was so nervous all morning, I felt like I would throw up (not due to morning sickness). As we sat in the waiting room, I was sweating, my hands were shaking, and I was practically in tears. I had no idea what to expect when we went in there, and I was just praying for a healthy heartbeat. I have definitely been feeling pregnant, so, despite the discomfort of that, it has been reassuring for me. But, over the last couple of days I had really started to worry and told Jay that I just didn't have a good feeling about what we were going to see at the ultrasound. I have had bad dreams the past two nights about miscarrying, and have just been working myself up into a panic. The woman who did the ultrasound was amazing. She knew we were nervous and didn't waste any time. As soon as she started looking, she immediately said, "There's the heartbeat and it looks good." At that point, I just started crying. She said that she was looking at my record before she came in and just praying that she would have good news for us. The baby is measuring at 7 weeks, 1 day, with a due date of October 2nd. We had her double check for twins because they missed seeing the second one at our early ultrasound when we were pregnant before with twins, but she said she was certain there was only one.

So, at least for today, I'm not a nervous wreck. I know that we have made it past this point before, and things have still not gone well, but a healthy heartbeat is still a huge hurdle for us to get past. I am so grateful and praising God for this miracle of a healthy heart. I know that I should be praising God regardless of the outcome of this pregnancy, and that no matter if He gives or takes away, we should be saying, "Blessed be the name of the Lord." But, for today, I am praising Him for giving.

1 comment:

  1. YES! The BEST Valentine's Day gift ever! Praise God:) Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete