Thursday, March 29, 2012

Smarty Pants

There is no denying that our little Addi girl is one smart cookie. Just like with Jake, I never really did much to teach her how to read, outside of constantly reading to her, but she has become quite an amazing reader at 5 years old. I honestly believe that reading is a developmental thing that kids will just get when they are ready, and it really doesn't matter much when a child starts reading (as long as they eventually start reading). I wouldn't even mention it on here except that this is the only place that I record things about the kids, and I want to remember when they accomplish certain things. She has started devouring books and absolutely blows me away at what she can read. She doesn't hesitate or have to sound words out - she just reads. She has been getting into American Girl lately and received the 6 book set of the American Girl, Josefina, for Christmas. Those books are probably at about a 3rd grade reading level, and I thought that we would read through them together. Nope. She whizzed through them on her own and finished them up shortly after receiving them. When she told some friends of ours that she was reading them, they were convinced that she couldn't possibly be comprehending what she was reading...so she told them exactly what was happening in the stories. She can be quite a talker when she gets going, not leaving out any details, and I'm pretty sure that they were sorry they asked. They then proceeded to ask me again when in the world I was going to put the kids in school (you know, since they're obviously falling so far behind at home! :)). Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment