Sunday, November 28, 2010

One Reason I Love My Husband

There are many, many reasons why I love my husband. Of the many, one is simply that he is amazing. That may sound vague, but he really is just all-around amazing. It blows me away how incredibly talented he is in such a huge variety of areas. It's not just that he's skilled at his particular profession - though he can do taxes like nobody's business! - but he can also fix anything, build anything, learn anything, and pretty much do anything! He's just incredibly smart, athletic, handy, etc. all rolled into one...in a word - amazing.

Often at Christmastime, I come up with or hear about some idea that I want to add to our Christmas traditions. Last year it was this...


I decided that I wanted to add a manger to our Christmas decorations. So, Jay built me one. We kept the manger empty until Christmas. Then, when the kids woke up on Christmas morning, the first thing they did was to go on a treasure hunt by "following the star" (star-shaped clues) to find Baby Jesus. We placed Him in the manger when they found Him and then we presented our gifts to Him (more on that another time).

This year, I was inspired by my friend's wooden candle-holder wreath to mark the days until Christmas, which she had gotten from Ann at A Holy Experience. I loved the idea of lighting an additional candle each night, making it brighter and brighter as it got closer to the coming of the Light of the World. (Or, you could just move one candle along to the next spot each night.) Our budget, however, requires us to do homemade sorts of decorations. So, I showed the picture to my husband, and a day later, here's what I got out of it...

My job is to stain it, which I obviously have not yet done.

Are you beginning to understand why I think my husband is amazing?

On a side note, Jay's right-hand man was, of course, by his side as he worked. He was working on trying to make himself a bow and arrow from tree branches and a rubber band. I commented that the razor blade was probably a bit too sharp for a 6 year old to be using. But Jay's response was, "The boy's got to learn how to use tools at some point." I have a feeling that Jake is going to be amazing just like his daddy!

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Jay and Jake, we are placing our order now... one of everything :)
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete